Sunday, May 4, 2008

5 Weeks to Go

My Quit Day is now officially scheduled for June 8th. That means I have 5 weeks. Last night I began planning and taking notes. I'll be taking baby steps to begin to undo some habits I've developed around smoking and starting things I know that will help me. Here is my agenda so far:

  • 5 weeks to Quit Day: This week begin to keep journal of smoking times and reason for smoking each time I light up. Make a list of reasons for quitting. Look for online resources I can turn to when I need reassurance.
  • 4 weeks to Quit Day: Stop smoking while on the phone.
  • 3 weeks to Quit Day: Stop smoking after meals. Begin exercise routine.
  • 2 weeks to Quit Day: Stop smoking during breaks at home, e.g. after cleaning or finishing a project. Begin to cut out caffeine.
  • 1 week to Quit Day: Stop smoking first thing in the morning. Begin to change eating habits, e.g. lighter, healthier food options.
This should get me going in the right direction. I have a lot of experience in quitting smoking (I've quit more than 20 times and at least twice for more than 9 months). I know what issues I need to work on and that the nicotine withdrawal is not an issue for me; it's the habits and emotions I need to work on.
Sometime later this week I'll post my reasons for quitting.

No comments: