Sunday, May 18, 2008

Progress

So, how am I doing in my baby steps? Just call me Ms. Scatter Brain. Up until yesterday I didn't know what week I was in and was being rather hard on myself for not doing better. All I had to do last week was to not smoke while I was on the phone, but I kept thinking that I was already supposed to be not smoking after meals and I thought I was supposed to start my exercise program this week, ugh. I had entered everything into my Google Calendar, but haven't been able to keep track because I've been so crazy busy with school work.

So how did I do this past week with not smoking on the phone? So so. There were times when I called my BFF to chat and would hold off going outside to smoke while I was chatting, but other times I would bring the phone out with me on my smoke breaks. Over-all, not great, so I need to recommit this week to not smoking at all while on the phone. What was the other thing I was supposed to do this past week? *Cue Jeopardy theme* Oh, what is list making and journaling? Oh yeah.... I did not mark down one cigarette this past week, nor have I written out my list of reasons for quitting.

So, this week in addition to not smoking after meals, I need to:
  1. Not smoke while chatting on the phone
  2. Write out my reasons for quitting
  3. Keep track of the times I light up and how I feel at that moment
I have had all of these things on my mind while smoking; mulling over my reasons for quitting and being aware of how many drags I am taking (which by the way really kills the joy in smoking, just so you know.)

One good thing I did this past week was to think about healthy habits to take up. I bought a yoga dvd yesterday and decided that that will be my exercise, along with more frequents walks with my son. I just need to set up times to commit to it. Another thing I decided on is that I won't try to drastically change my diet when I quit. I think that may be too much change for me right now, but I will add more healthier options to my current diet. I picked up a copy of Super Foods RX as well yesterday and will incorporate these better food choices in to my diet. I noticed that after looking through the book they seem to be very similar to the low G.I. foods that I had incorporated years ago into my diet, but got lazy about continuing with. Most of them are still in my diet. I only eat real whole grain bread and lots of nuts. Fruit is a problem for me, but veggies are great and I eat lots of broccoli already.
So there you have it, my progress for week one of baby steps.

No comments: